Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

Provision

This morning, Ron left to workout with a recruit at about 6a.m. Let me just say that is not even close to when I normally rise. Dexter had settled at the foot of the bed making it difficult to stretch my legs. I convinced him to move and tried to get back to sleep. It wasn't happening. Usually when this happens, it's God. Yes, He needed me to get myself up and go sit down with Him. It's always in my best interests to do so.

I got up and went to make coffee. Must have coffee. I tried not to get distracted by the disheveled living room. Have you ever read the poem "If You Give a Mom a Muffin"? If not, read it here. Really, it's the story of my current life. :)

So, I sat down with "No Other Gods" and proceeded to do the study. Immediately, I knew why I should get up. The lesson is about Abraham taking Isaac to be sacrificed. This story always hits a spot inside me. Ugh, to bring the child you tried so hard to conceive to an altar!!! That must have been so tough for Abraham! Just as it must have been excruciating for God to watch Jesus suffer on the cross. Abraham didn't have to go through with the sacrifice, however. Why? Because God provided. The thing that has escaped me in the past is that Abraham knew God would provide. Whether it be by raising Isaac from the dead, or whatnot, he knew. He followed in obedience because he had faith of God's provision. When he left his servants to go up to the altar this is what he says Genesis 22:5~

5 “Stay here with the donkey,” Abraham told the servants. “The boy and I will travel a little farther. We will worship there, and then we will come right back.”

WE will come right back. Uh-huh! I had completely missed this in the past. Abraham KNEW!

Okay, how does this apply to me & why would I be shaken from slumber to read this? I think about how God speaks to Abraham in verse 22:1~

1 “Abraham!” God called.
“Yes,” he replied. “Here I am.”

I can see myself rubbing sleep out of my eyes, half awake, but saying, "Yes, Lord. Here I am." LOL. Sorry, I digress. Anyhow, this applies STRONGLY here because of the provision aspect. I have been reluctant to lay down idols of worry and other earthly things because I am "ye of little faith". I don't fully BELIEVE that there will be the provision. However, here is Abraham being commanded to SACRIFICE HIS SON and he KNOWS God will provide. Here, I am being asked to lay down things that are MUCH less valuable than my own flesh and blood, yet I am reluctant. HOW DARE I? Has God not SHOWN me in the past that He will be there ALWAYS. Has He not shown He ALWAYS provides? I praise God for His patience with me. It's these frying pan over the head moments that I am amazed at his persistence with me.

Thank you, Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This really touched me. Guilty and raising my hand. I needed this, girlfriend! :)