Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

"Mom, that was really good!"

I don't hear this often from my kids. Usually Ron is the one getting such compliments. But tonight I scored a homerun with the kids with this great recipe from Michael Symon of Food Network.

I used to eat a lot of Greek food in college. My work study job was across the street from Olympia Cafe. I would order the same thing every time, chicken souvlaki. YUM! We had this with tzaziki & cantaloupe. I didn't have pitas so we used tortillas. I bought the tzaziki at Sunflower Market, but next time I think I'll make it on my own. It looks easy enough. I hope you enjoy it, too!

For the Souvlaki:
2 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (I omitted this for the kids)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-to-2-inch chunks (I think we'll try chicken next time)

Prepare the souvlaki: Combine the shallots, garlic, oregano, jalapeno, lemon juice and olive oil in a large resealable plastic bag. Add the pork, turn to coat, and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.

Soak 12 to 16 wooden skewers in water, at least 20 minutes.

Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium. Remove the pork from the marinade and thread 2 pieces onto each skewer. Grill until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side.


TZAZIKI SAUCE:
1 1/2 cups yogurt cheese, with liquid reserved
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons chopped dill
Salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl combine yogurt cheese, garlic, lemon juice and dill. Add salt and pepper to taste. Depending on desired consistency, add reserved yogurt liquid. Yield: 1 1/2 to 2 cups sauce

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Thanks for the recipe Tina, I think I will try this out this week with chicken!

Auntie Cake said...

You are making my mouth seriously water! And only 2weeks, 1 day? I hope that time went fast for you! And the next two weeks go even faster, (and that you get everything done you need to!)
Kate

Alisa Noble said...

I love Greek food! I am so going to try this recipe... thanks!