Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

politics... not as usual...

I think I've made it pretty obvious that I can be kind of political here at my little ol' blog. Today I stumbled across a quote from Republican NY Senator Roy McDonald. He was speaking in defense of gay marriage. If you balk at gay marriage, please continue to read because this is about more than that. I saw Senator McDonald's quote via Facebook on the page for the Fabulous Beekman Boys.  If you have cable or satellite or whatever they call it, I recommend watching this show on Planet Green. I covet their lives on the Beekman Farm {minus Polka Spot- I have llama issues}. I love how they are striving for self-sustainability. The fact they are doing it with a little pinache is also very appealing to me. What can I say, I love pinache.

Anyhow, on The Beekman's Facebook page was a quote from Senator McDonald:

"You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing. You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, f--- it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing." (via Time Magazine)


Senator McDonald continues with:

"I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this." (via Huffington Post)

Okay, here's why this was so significant to me... We're in a civil war of sorts in this country. It's not North or South. It's Republican and Democrat. Yes, there have always been differences in opinions on how this country is run, but when we allow those differences to split our great country apart to the point it is incapable of operating, we all lose. I think we become a mockery of democracy. Yes, everyone gets her or his say, but when we're stagnant because of it, how does that benefit us?

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Excellent post!

As usual, I completely agree with you. We are at a civil war in this country and it is getting us nowhere.

I love that he put blue collar and doing the right thing together ;-)

Leah said...

The way the world is it will never ever come to a place of good, let alone perfect government. There is only One who can, and will bring that. Until then, let us strive to continue to stand, and having done all...stand,for what God says is right. The civil war is not about human governement because we do not wrestle against flesh and blood. Let us never forget that.