Pages

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Wow! It's been too long...

Hi Friends,

I hope you're still here. I still remember you. A lot has happened since I last visited. I'm sure much has happened with you as well. I'd love to hear about it. Please share with me.

Our family left Okinawa, Japan, in 2015 for Hawaii. We've lived in this amazingly gorgeous place for the past five years. The first year hubby was gone to Guam. The second year... Well, the second year changed my life forever.

In February of 2016 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Let me just tell you, no one in my family has had cancer. NO ONE. So, this blew me out of the water. Incidentally, did you know a very small percentage of women actually inherit breast cancer? I digress. A year before I went to the doctor after I noticed a small bump in my right breast. After a mammogram and ultrasound, it was ruled that I had dense breasts, but the bump was nothing to worry about. My medical report noted I had a cyst and actually there were many in that breast. The doctor told me I shouldn't trouble myself with it unless it started to get in the way. Well, February 2016 it was quite large. And, it wasn't a cyst. I had breast cancer. I went through six rounds of chemotherapy, a bilateral mastectomy, and radiation. I did discover I had a gene known to increase chances of breast cancer, but it was not BRCA. So, in February 2017 I had my ovaries removed because where there is a genetic predisposition to breast cancer, so there is one to ovarian cancer. Thankfully, I am thus far in remission. Breast cancer has no test to determine if one is out of remission so I have to stay alert, especially since mine was quite aggressive.

Whew! That was a lot wasn't it? I want to tell you that a part of me came out that I never knew existed. I created a sisterhood of women who were all badasses with me. It changed my perspective on life. I thank God for the opportunity to be alive EVERY day. EVERY DAY. Don't take one second for granted. It might sound cliche but it isn't. Just suck everything out of everyday. Oh, and check your boobs.

So, I wanted to welcome you back. I hope to jump back into my loving creative self. I want to create more. I would love if you would join me.

Let me know what's going on with you since I last was here. Share with me. I'd love to hear from you.

Until later,
Tina

No comments: