Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Weekly Review 3/31/08-4/4/08

We're attempting to get back into the swing of things after Ron was off for two weeks. I feel good about what we accomplished. This was one of the first weeks that we have had really beautiful weather, so there was a lot of time spent outdoors in between lessons for the kids, and a lot of purging and cleaning for mom.

History: We're almost through the Nez Perce. We started to read about Kaya from the American Girl series, but it has fallen a bit to the wayside. We're using Stephanie Takacs book about the Nez Perce and EvanMoor Native American History Pockets .

Math: C is doing great in the Singapore 1A book. I also received the MUS Beta this week, so when we're done here, we'll move on to that. I love the different format of the Singapore and allowing C to learn a different way of solving the problems.

Reading: I've implemented the rule that C must read before having TV time (and must finish all his learning time before TV time). I've also started really limiting the amount of TV being watched. I think we strayed away from our limited watching for awhile and it's a bit of a struggle to get back. C completed one easy reader book this week and is working through Little Bear, which I'm finding is probably much too easy for him, but I want him to gain confidence in reading, before moving on.

Science: We have just about completed DK Weather. YAY!!! We're actually making progress here. The next subject is about Pasteur and we will be growing cultures in Petri dishes. I'm a little apprehensive about this given C's aversion to germs (it almost became a serious issue about a year ago), but we'll see how it goes.

Grammar: We're forwarding through FLL. I love the format. It's so straight forward and easy to use. I have also started replacing some of the examples from the book with examples from our own lives in teaching common/proper nouns and that's been great to see C's progress here.

No comments: