Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Speechless

I am about to embark on what may seem like absolute manic rambling, so please be prepared. I just feel compelled to record these thoughts so that I can look back on them when I need to in the future.

The dogs woke me up this morning, quite a bit earlier than I normally rise, 6:30. I would have balked, but apparently God needed me up that early. So, I stretched, put on a pot of coffee, and went about grooming my plants while praying God would bless my time with Him. Indeed, He did.

I am working on "Breaking Free" by Beth Moore. I love Beth, she's awesome. I saw her with my Sister in God, Megan, last year at the Pepsi Center. Since then, God has made me aware of some mountains in my life that have needed moving. A year ago, after the conference, I walked into Family Life Christian Store and knew I needed to get "Breaking Free." The stubborn side of me resisted in getting the study that went with it until about two months ago. I'm so glad I did. So, today I did one of the studies in Chapter 2 regarding seeing God's glory. Okay, let the wild rumpus begin... LOL

I'm just in awe about how God has chosen US to be a reflection of His glory. When we reflect on Old Testament accounts of His glory it is a pretty darned wondrous thing. Angels singing, people unable to continue working, people falling face down all in the midst of it and WE are a reflection of THAT? Through US His glory shows????!!! Whoa! Amazing stuff, but also a bit daunting. How are we supposed to carry the responsibility of that? Praise God that it is pointed out in 2 Cor 3:17-18 that this is a work in progress that it is a process that hopefully grows with time and age. And in Romans 8:1, God doesn't sit there and point out our shortcomings. We do that to ourselves.

We are blessed by the presence of the Holy Spirit of Christ IN US! I know, I'm dense, I'm just now getting this. I went to the altar at the age of 9, and I'm just NOW getting this. This in accompaniment of showing God's glory sure makes it necessary to tear down anything that might get in the way of God's work in our lives. He has in store for us more that we've ever heard, seen, or imagined in our lives (1 Cor 2:9). Now, I don't know about you, but I'm a bit of a safety freak. I'm not one to embark on anything unless I know that it's safe. So, as a result, I've passed up a lot of opportunities. Basically, I'm not a risk taker. But, when I see people do things risky and have these amazing ways of showing their God given talents, I'm awed and inspired, but still safe. In 1 Cor 2:9 God is basically saying, "You can't even FATHOM what's in store for you. So rip down those places of captivity, because it's going to be an E Ticket ride." And when we are going through the process, we are creating a life to give HIM back the glory.

Another verse that spoke volumes to me was 1 Cor 10:31. In my NLT it reads "Whatever you eat or drink or whatever you do, you must do all for the glory of God." This stood out to me in many ways. God mandates that even in the everyday things, even in the things that don't seem Earth shaking, or unfathomable, we must DO to give HIM glory. So, in my life as a wife: "Am I doing to give GOD glory." It's so easy to get caught up in the "What's in this for me", because we are fleshy, but if we're doing all to give HIM glory, we completely bypass that. Not to say we're doormats, but it makes it easier to overlook ourselves and our pride. In my life as a mom, I can get frustrated, feel overwhelmed. This is not news to you. But, in the moments before the top is about to blow off, I need to train myself to ask "Is this giving God glory?" If not, maybe it's time for a Mommy Time Out. Even in the smallest aspect of putting food in my mouth and drink in my body (read maybe that 3rd Coke isn't such a good idea LOL), am I giving God and His temple glory?? You see, we don't have an instruction manual for Life, for marriage, for parenting. We have God's Word, and the responsibility of showing God's glory. THAT is our instruction manual, THAT is our map.

If you've read this far, I appreciate your keeping up with my ramblings. I know for some of you this is not new. I know I've heard this before, but it tends to take God hitting me over my head (did I mention I was stubborn?) SEVERAL times with a 2 by 4 to get it to stick. Praise God He doesn't condemn me. LOL.

No comments: