Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Homeschool Memoirs: Happy New Year

This year we spent New Years with friends of ours that are like family. When we moved here 2.5 years ago and we met this family, I had no idea what lessons God would teach me through their friendship. It's always amazing when God gives you a glimpse of his mercy and grace. You're never the same afterward.

We've spent the past 2.5 years as a recruiting family. I remember prior to taking this assignment, I would tell people what Ron was going to do. They had pretty much the same response, "I'm sorry." When we arrived here and sat around a table with everyone from Ron's station, the wives of recruiters who were leaving celebrated. Sonia and I were lone newcomers, unsure of what would happen.

We became close friends. We were bonded by being Army wives far from an Army base. We are sisters in Christ. We started Bible studies together. We went trick or treating together. She helped me to fix a fence.

A myriad of issues led to her divorce from her husband. I remember listening to her, crying and praying beforehand. It was hard to see this all fall down. Too, it was hard to see their children, tweens, surely aware of what was happening. Her husband insisted that their children stay here, while Sonia left to Washington to be a flight attendent.

So, now she's here. She's back. They're back together. She's expecting. This Christmas when we exchanged gifts, we gave them a plaque, Matthew 19:24-26 ..." with God all things are possible.” He has shown me this so many times, and yet He's even more patient

No comments: