Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2008

HOTM: Balance


While many homeschooling moms know that being a mother includes teaching their children daily there are those who find the 'line' between teaching their homeschooling child and being a mom fuzzy. What are some of the best tips you can offer a new homeschooling mother who is sorting out those gray areas? How do you manage the balance between the two?

I'm not sure you'll find very helpful advice here. Really, I have a difficult time making that transition myself. I recently ordered this really cute bumper sticker. I wanted something that celebrated our homeschooling family, but also made room for my individuality. It's lime green, and in pink it reads "homeschooling mom." I love it. My point is the suffix "-ing" at the end of "homeschool". The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the suffix as:

Main Entry: 1-ing
Pronunciation: \iŋ also ēŋ; in some dialects & in other dialects informally in, ən also ēn; after certain consonants ən, əm, əŋ\
Function: noun suffix
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English -ung, -ing, suffix forming nouns from verbs; akin to Old High German -ung, suffix forming nouns from verbs
1: action or process : instance of an action or process


My emphasis is on the "action or process." So, really it never ends here. I really haven't found a way to shut it off! And, really, it's something I do without even realizing I'm doing it.

I remember contemplating homeschooling when C was about 3.5. I was with a friend at the Albuquerque Botanical Gardens. She and I were discussing the possibility. I remember C saying something and I responded (the specifics aren't real clear, it was 3.5 years ago; I'm not sure I can remember what I had for breakfast). My friend looked at me and said, "See, that's why I think you would make a good homeschooler, you see the opportunity to teach in everything." Without realizing it, I do it, sometimes to my children's chagrin. However, it's part of each and every mom, homeschooling and not. It's innate, really.

No comments: